Updated: Aug 17, 2020
So you have your photos, but how does the rest work?! This can be common questions I am asked and would love to bring some clarity! The photos that a photographer hands over to you are part of their life’s work. It has their name or branding so there are a few important restrictions to note when it comes to the professional digital images that you receive!
1) Copyright. The digital images that your photographer provides you with have a copyright, which means the photographer has the option to use those photos to market their work and services anytime in the future. I am however also respectful of our clients so if there are any images that you would prefer to keep private, it’s best to let us know about it ahead of time so that we can honor your wishes. This is something I will ask you in your booking email!! I truly adore sharing your photos, it helps me continue to build my business and adore being able to celebrate with you!!
2) Image type. We aren’t able to provide you with the original files or raw images. All images given to the client have been cropped and have been edited. I take GREAT pride in hand editing each photo to give you the best!!
3) Image altering. While I love your business and welcome the sharing of our photos on social media platforms, we ask that the images not be altered! It seems silly, but when I take great care to edit an image and a filter is put on the photo, it is not longer my brand!
What constitutes image altering?
· Adding filters or editing photos in Photoshop
· Removing our logo or studio name
· Color correcting or including transitions from color to black and white
· Clipping people or objects out of the original shot
So why do we have this as a restriction? Our photos are a representation of our work so when a customer alters an image it directly impacts our name and brand in the industry. When we present you with final images, they have already been through our editing process and don’t require further alterations. When images are altered, the results are not always reflective of our original work and can then be mistaken for ours. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and help with this!
We are happy to give a quote if you want images to be edited in a specific way or if you want further alterations made.
4) Prints & Print Rights. I give all my clients the rights to their photos to print and share as you like! I want you to be able to use them how you want and enjoy!! Often if you print at a printer like Costco, Walmart, or other chain printers, they will ask for written permission from the photographer! If that happens, I am happy to send you over a written letter giving you permission! I also highly suggest using the printer attached to you gallery! The pricing is VERY competitive with any other printer but the quality is absolutely the best!! I recently did a comparison of printers, and will share the results soon!!
If you share on social media, I would be so honored if you can give me photo credit!! You can do these a few ways! 1, tag me @KateBucklesPhotography 2, use #KateBucklesPhotography 3, or just say "Photo Credit to Kate Buckles Photography" I SO appreciate all tags and recognition!!!
SO there is the nitty-gritty!! I am always so thrilled to answer questions and make sure you can use and enjoy your photos!!