How to Decide What to Wear to Your Photoshoot
Fall is around the corner as well as your fall family session! And what to wear is the question of the hour!
My family and I just had our photos and gosh, I feel the pain of figuring out what to wear!! I am always thrilled to help you with what to wear, but also put together a few tips as you prep to keep in mind!
7 Top Tips for Deciding What to Wear for a Photoshoot
1. What is the purpose of the photoshoot? This should be your first thought when deciding what to wear. Choose an appropriate outfit for the occasion and something that suits your personality. For our last family session, I knew we wanted to have dressier photos, so we choose for the boys to wear dress pants, me a dress and choose colors that matched my vision for the fall and feel I wanted the photos to have!!
2. Keep the location & season in mind. Where is the photoshoot taking place? Choose an outfit that will keep you feeling comfortable and confident. For example, if you’re on a beach, those new high heels might not be the most logical choice and you might end up looking a bit out of place!
3. Mix and match. Don’t be afraid to wear patterns or prints for your photoshoot but keep them to a minimum and try to pair them with solid colors. If you’re having a family photoshoot for example, have two family members in printed items and two in solid colors. Play with different colors to match the mood and setting of the shoot.
4. Make your photos timeless. You might love that trendy top or pair of pants now but will your photos stand the test of time if you wear that item of clothing?
5. What to do about makeup. This would depend on the type of photos you are taking. Fashion shoots will call for more dramatic makeup but for your everyday maternity, family or portrait shoots, keep your makeup natural and more like you! I often suggest doing a bit more than your everyday for your photos!
6. Fit is more important that you think. If you already have an outfit in mind for your shoot, try it on before the time to make sure that it fits correctly and compliments your body type.
7. Try not to go brand crazy. Wearing too much clothing with prominent brand names just makes you look like a walking ad. Clothing with large graphics on it also doesn’t work well as it will end up being the focus of your photos.
Remember to have fun on your photoshoot, be yourself and don’t hesitate to ask me for guidance!!